Saturday, June 22, 2013
My Toddler Ate A Crayon
So guess what Rain decided to do earlier this evening? She ate a small piece of blue crayon. #Stress!
It was around 7pm and we just finished having dinner. I resumed with my work by the dining table, writing writing writing... while Rain was on the living room floor on the mat, laying down, watching Special Agent Oso. She was being well-behaved. I should have known. Usually when she's quiet it means either she's doing the deed or she's up to something. But I didn't notice. I was too busy with work as well.
After a few minutes, she started coughing. I quickly ran to her and pulled her up in a sitting position so she can cough easily. Imagine my surprise when I saw her cough up chunks of something blue...
A BLUE CRAYON!
Panic immediately came over me and I started patting her strongly on the back so she would spit out some more, and slightly pressing her stomach so she would throw up a bit. I checked her mouth by forcing it open, and using my pinky finger, I scooped up whatever else was in her mouth. There were still chunks of blue crayon! I've never been so scared in my life!
After making sure she had no more crayon in her mouth, I brushed her teeth just to make sure there weren't any left that might have stuck in her teeth. Rain only cried when I was forcing her mouth open and and sticking my finger in her mouth. But for the rest of the time she was her usual self. Babbling loudly using words only she could understand. So I was confident she was fine. But I still had to check...
I googled "What to do when a toddler eats a crayon" and all of the results said that since a crayon is primarily made of wax, a small amount would not harm a toddler. Not even an infant:
- "In general, wax is not poisonous. If a child eats a small amount of crayon, the wax will pass through the child's system without causing a problem. However, eating large amounts of wax or crayons can lead to intestinal obstruction." from N.Y. Times Health Guide
-" the primary constituent of most crayons is wax, and they are mostly harmless, even to infants." from Yahoo Answers
These ones are funny. From Baby Gaga Parenting Forum :
- "I'm sure that my daughter who is almost 3 has eaten at least a box of crayons since she started colouring!! He'll be just fine they are non-toxic, you will have some fun coloured poos though!!"
- "He will be fine. be ready for some colorful poop! my brother ate a whole box when he was a kid. he ate them slowly and we could NEVER find where he hid them lol. so he had a rainbow of poopoo diapers til we finally found the stupid box"
Okay so maybe I overreacted a little bit. But can you blame a first-time mom? Thank God the brand of the crayon was Crayola so I was sure it was non-toxic. And I'm also 100% sure she only ate a small amount.
I guess I'll be expecting a blue poopy soon.